Your roof is a critical part of your home’s structure. Here at Covenant Roofing and Construction, we want to make sure your roof is able to protect your home. Storms can seriously damage your roof, but storm damage signs aren’t always readily apparent. We want to help you watch out for signs of storm damage on your roof, including some of the following:
- Missing shingles. Shingles are common victims of storm damage. They can be blown off in sections or singularly, so look for irregularities on your roof after storms.
- Missing granules. While granule loss over time is normal, patterns in wear of granules are never a good sign. Storm damage can often make sections of shingles move, leaving horizontal lines where granules are missing.
- Roof leaks. If you are experiencing a leak, you need to have this checked out quickly. Leaks can turn into other problems involving mold and mildew, and need to be addressed immediately.
- Ice dams. Ice dams are often easy to spot, especially after a period of warming and then sudden cooling or freezing. Ice congregates on the eaves and creates a dam or ridge, which allows for more snow to settle and creates issues with leaks.
- Gutter clogs. Wind and storm damage can bring a lot of leaves and debris into your gutters. This creates harmful clogs and damages your gutters, while also potentially causing water damage.
- Gutter leaks or damage. After a storm, check your gutters for leaves, twigs or other debris. These can create problems with clogging and water drainage around your home.
- Debris on the lawn. While you might want to look up for storm damage, don’t forget to also look down! You can’t always see your entire roof, but you can search your yard for signs of missing shingles and debris.
Don’t hesitate to call a roofer if you suspect storm damage. After a storm, there’s nothing wrong with calling for a roofer to inspect your roof just because you want peace of mind. Make sure you choose a reputable roofer like ours for honesty as well as peace of mind. If you have questions about how to deal with storm damage on your roof, we can help! Give us a call today to learn more.